Below is a list of our Frequently Asked Questions.
What is hypothermia?
By definition, hypothermia occurs when the body's core temperature falls below 36.5ºC (97.7ºF). The word hypo means "below", and the word thermia (or thermē in Greek) means "heat."
Why should I protect my baby from hypothermia?
- Because babies are small, they can very easily become cold (hypothermic). When they become cold, their body burns fat-stores to stay warm. Unfortunately, as a consequence of this the baby doesn’t gain weight, the sugar and oxygen levels in the body drop, the organs are at a serious risk of damage, and the baby can die.
Does every baby need protection from hypothermia?
- Yes. It is widely considered as a safe and best practice to keep your newborn warm from the day of birth. However, the most at-risk newborns who lose temperature easily are those born pre-term and with a low birth-weight. Low birth-weight is defined as any newborn weighing less than 2.5kg.
- Regular temperature monitoring is known to be one of the most effective ways to ensure healthy weight gain. To bridge this gap, we developed the Bempu Hypothermia Monitoring Device to provide continuous thermal care monitoring for neonates during their first four weeks of life. This enables caregivers to provide improved thermal care which in turn helps to prevent hypoglycemia, poor weight gain, and death in newborns.
What kind of training do I need to use Bempu?
- Using Bempu is simple: if the baby's temperature drops to an unsafe range, the bracelet creates an audio-visual alert by playing a tune and flashing an orange light.
My Bempu is sounding an alarm. What action do I take?
- When the bracelet alarms, there are 2 simple steps to take
- Swaddle your baby - wrap your baby in a layer of warm clothing. Use a cap to cover the head, mittens to cover the hands, and socks to cover the feet.
- Kangaroo Care - Also known as skin-to-skin contact, place your newborn directly against your chest to provide warmth. This is the most natural way to offer thermal care and can easily be done at home by all family members. To learn more about Kangaroo Care, please click here.
- If the alarm continues to sound despite taking action, please contact your doctor as this could be symptomatic of an underlying condition such as sepsis, hypoglycemia, hypoxia or other illness.
Is Bempu safe for my baby?
- Yes. Made from 100% medical grade silicon rubber, Bempu is radiation-free, and is designed to ISO certified standards.
For detailed technical specifications, please click here.
Will it fit my baby?
- The Bempu device is designed to fit babies weighing between 800g - 3.6kg.
What age-group is Bempu suitable for?
- Bempu is suitable for babies up to 3 months of age.
Is Bempu water-proof?
- The device is water-resistant but not water-proof. If your baby licks the device, do not worry! However, the device should not be submerged underwater and should be taken off during bath.
Are the different colored bands for different purpose?
- No. The functionality of the device is same regardless of the device color; they are simply different color options of the same device. We will send you whichever color is available in stock.
Does the device require a doctor's prescription?
- No. The Bempu device does not mandate a prescription and is designed to be used at home! While Bempu may be available at your hospital's pharmacy or prescribed by your doctor, you can easily place an order on-line and extend the same level of hospital care for your newborn at home.
How long can I use Bempu for my baby?
- This device is designed to monitor & alert for hypothermia 24x7 for a period of four weeks. These four weeks, known as the neonatal period, is the most critical time and warrants special attention for your newborn.
How can I clean Bempu?
- Any wipes used to clean baby products are also safe to clean the Bempu device.
- DO NOT sterilize or submerge under water!
Where can I buy it?
You can order a Bempu directly from our website by clicking here.